Which word can I use for a pizza which is no a real pizza, but tastes as pizza? That’s my VEGAN PIZZA WITH VEGETABLE LOW CARB BASE.
This one has an entirely vegetable base: is vegan (with no eggs or mozzarella at all), no flour or kamut or spelt, gluten and yeast free.
Base for Vegan Pizza with legumes, without flour
- canned garbanzo bean, boiled (you will avoid them once expert),
- vegetables at your taste (squash or spinach, for me),
- 2 tbsp of garbanzo bean flour.
- mozzarisella (Vegan mozzarella), or nothing;
- cooked tomato sauce.
Make a base not very thin, suitable for finger food. It must be thick but at the same time the taste must not cover other ingredients.
That is why we prefer light vegetables whose taste is not very strong.
Roll the dough on a round pan, and pre-heat oven at 200°C.
I have made 3 different kind of bases:
- ½ can of garbanzo beans and some cubes of frozen spinach, thawed in microwave oven and lightly drained. Then I added 3 tbsp of garbanzo bean flour;
- ½ can of garbanzo bean and some slices of squash boiled. Then I added 3 tbsp of garbanzo bean flour;
- only boiled squash, to which I added 3 tbsp of garbanzo bean flour;
Blend boiled garbanzo bean (1/2 can) with vegetables you chose. Add salt and, if you like, ½ clove of garlic. Add to vegetables a little cooking water, if needed.
You can also add a little oil, but… why?
Put to the refrigerator to get it firm, but if you are expert you don’t need to. Roll on the pan covered with baking paper.
You can also grease the pan with a little oil so the base don’t stick to the pan.
Bake in oven at medium heat, until firm. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Then remove the base from the pan and turn it to cook on the other side, if needed.
What’s important is that you have to cook the base before seasoning, otherwise it will not be firm like a normal pizza made with flour.
Finally, season your pizza.
I end up with a cooked tomato sauce and capers, mozzarisella, olives and vegetables at you taste (such as mushrooms, artichokes, dried tomatoes, arugula, turnip tops).
Bake in oven – at 200°C – for 5 minutes or until done.
Remove from oven and taste.